Looking for dual pane window glass replacement options in Denver, CO? Let us guess: has your window suffered from a sudden storm? Or a rock accidentally thrown by a mower? Or maybe it was a ball someone failed to catch? Perhaps, the seal on your double pane window has been damaged? Anyway, it doesn’t matter now. Window pane replacement is likely to become a real headache for homeowners. Good news is that if your double pane glass is fogged or broken, you needn’t replace the whole window. It’s possible to change the glass just in the damaged pane. Go on reading to find out how to repair a double pane window.
Structure of Double Pane Windows
Before we go any further, let us walk you through the anatomy of a double pane window.
Double pane windows are composed of two glass layers. As a result, there’s space between the layers. This gap is typically filled with an inert gas, Argon and Krypton being the most widespread options. These gases are heavier than air and serve as an effective barrier against hot and cold temperateres, optimizing thermal efficiency and decreasing heat transfer. Still, there are double pane windows filled with normal air, however, they are less energy efficient.
A window spacer, which keeps the panes separated, is coated to create an airtight barrier. The window is tightly sealed to prevent moisture from building up between the glass layers.
How to Replace Glass in a Double Pane Window
So, you’ve come to a decision to do a DIY double pane glass replacement. Arm yourself with patience: repairing double paned windows is not as easy as it might seem. Here are steps that will help you cope with this complicated task. Let’s get down to business.
DIY Glass Pane Replacement
- Begin window repair with removing the molding if there’s one around your window.
- Secondly, take off the rubber glazing.
- Next, separate the sealant that keeps the glass within the frame.
- Now your task is to remove the old glass. If it’s broken, you should gently break away what has been left. In case the glass is uninjured (for instance, you replace double pane glass because it’s been getting fogged), utilize a suction cup grip to pull the panel out of the structure.
- Then, cover the area into which the replacement glass pane will go with the necessary amount of silicone.
- Finally, put the replacement double pane glass into the frame and use sealant to secure it properly.
Keep in mind that window repair can be dangerous, so work carefully and don’t hurry. You might be badly injured by the pieces of broken glass, so remember to protect your hands and eyes. Plus, replacing glass in double pane windows on the upper floor involves the danger of falling down.
Do’s and Don’ts of DIY Double Paned Glass Repair
Before you take your final decision to replace double pane window on your own, stop to think once more. It’s more difficult that it seems, so let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of this sort of DIY project.
Benefits of Do-It-Yourself Double Pane Glass Repair
- You will save you money over hiring a glass expert.
- You’ll learn a new skill.
Downsides of Inexpert Glass Pane Replacement
- It’s likely that you don’t have the necessary equipment and materials at home, so cost saving gets questionable.
- You may select an inappropriate glass type for your window.
- Glass repair is a dangerous job.
- You won’t be protected by warranty.
- You can’t be 100% sure that you’ll do window repair correctly. Unfortunately, you might pay twice as a result.
Entrust Dual Pane Window Glass Replacement to a Team of Experts in Denver, CO
We are absolutely sure that double paned glass repair is something that should be done by experts. Your piece of mind is definitely worth hiring the professionals who have broad experience in the field and will offer you the top quality service.
We’ll Replace Broken Double Pane Window Glass in Denver, CO
The UnitedWindowsPro team has replaced thousands of windows in Denver, CO homes. We are proud to say that all our customers remained satisfied with our work. So if you need to replace broken double pane window glass, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Our expert will arrive at your place to estimate the damage caused to the glass panel and carry out all the necessary measurements. We’ll come back with the new pane as soon as possible. Great news is that we have a variety of window glass shapes and sizes in stock, which means that we can carry out glass pane replacement within the same day.
In case your damaged pane has an unconventional shape, color/tint, size, or glass type like safety glass or Low-E, we’ll need to make a custom glass pane, which can take some time. While our experienced glass cutters are getting your new glass made, your home is safe and secure: we’ll board up the damaged area until the replacement glass arrives.
The Bottom Line
Insulated windows are a perfect choice if you focus on energy efficiency of your dwelling. Things happen, and sometimes you might need glass repair. Of course, you can try to do it by yourself, but it’s a good idea to entrust this job to a team of experienced specialists. At UnitedWindowsPro, we do our best to provide the best service at a reasonable cost. Get in touch with our expert, and you’ll save your time, effort, and make sure that glass repair is done professionally. Call or text us today for a free quote at 720-400-2929.